The Fulbright Thai Graduate Scholarship Program
and General Requirements
Overview of the Fulbright Scholarship Program
The mission of the Fulbright Scholar Program is to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and people of other countries. It aims to provide educational exchanges to a maximum number of individuals not previously afforded such an opportunity.
Applicants should be representatives and responsible citizens who can contribute to a full and fair picture of the culture of their own countries and thereby contribute to understanding between the people of the United States and their country. They should also demonstrate the cross-cultural sensitivity and flexibility needed to adjust successfully to life in the U.S.
Application and Preview Process
The purpose of this guideline is to assist potential Fulbrighters in preparing their application and to try to answer questions often asked about the application process.
Advance planning will give the applicant as much time as possible to put together thoughtful and complete application.
- You must read the program announcement (attached below) for eligibility requirements and application procedures.
- Read and complete the application form carefully. The application consists of a six-page form for personal data, educational and professional background, proposed program plan (400 words) and biographical statement (400 words). Doctoral applicants must answer an additional essay question on conceptual research/dissertation idea (400 words). All required documents must be uploaded with the application form.
- It is highly recommended that you access and complete the online application form on a computer.
- All items must be in English or otherwise indicated, and use American date notation (i.e., month day, year).
- Applications must be submitted by the deadline set by the Thailand – United States Educational Foundation (TUSEF) for further consideration. Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
- TUSEF conducts the initial screening and endorsement of all the applications.
- Applicants will be notified by TUSEF if they are selected.
- Applicants are responsible to check the selection results (screening and interview) at TUSEF’s website (www.fulbrightthai.org) at the time indicated in the program announcement.
Choosing Major Field of Studies for the Fulbright Thai Graduate Scholarship (Open Competition Scholarship Program)
Question 1 of the online application form asks about the major field of study that you would like to pursue. Examples of field of studies in each category are as follows. If you are not sure about your field of study, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pure and applied science: chemistry, biology, biomedical science, physics, mathematics, actuarial science, statistics, architecture, urban design, food science, marine science, agricultural, forestry, fisheries etc.
- Engineering and computer science: electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, petroleum engineering, computer science, computer engineering, data analysis, ocean engineering, aerospace engineering, etc.
- Arts, humanities, and education: dance, music, design, fine arts, visual arts, films/TV, cinematography, animation, languages, literature, philosophy, anthropology, education etc.
- Social science: public policy, political science, international development, criminal justice, economics, environmental studies, communications, journalism, geography, social work, theology/religious studies, history etc.
- Law: all legal concentrations
- MBA (Finance): banking, finance, financial engineering, quantitative business analysis, etc.
- MBA (Non-finance): general management, operation management, entrepreneurship, social enterprise, marketing, HR, supply chain management and logistics, etc.
Choosing Degree Sought for the Fulbright Thai Graduate Scholarship (Open Competition Scholarship Program)
Question 1 of the online application form asks about the degree you would like to pursue. Please see the explanation below. If you are not sure about your degree, please contact email@example.com.
- If you are applying for a master’s degree, choose “Master of”
- If you are applying for a combined master’s and doctoral degree, choose “Doctor of”
- If you are applying for a doctoral degree, choose “Doctor of”
Confidential Letters of Recommendation
Candid and honest letters of recommendation provide an evidence of an application’s reputation within his/her discipline. The letter of recommendation form in the application pack suggests qualifications that recommenders should address:
- Applicants must submit 2 references through online application system or in sealed envelopes. At least one must be from an academic source.
- If submitting online, it is highly recommended that you provide us with the recommenders' official/professional email addresses that are registered or associated with their organizations to ensure the credential of the recommenders. Personal email addresses are not accepted.
- Recommendation letters should be from people qualified to evaluate the applicants’ educational background and professional work.
- Do not ask someone for letters of recommendation unless the persons are well acquainted with the applicant’s qualifications.
- Choose recommenders carefully and contact them early to ensure that the letters will be completed before the application deadline.
- Two letters of recommendation must be submitted along with the application. Otherwise, the application will be weakened by an insufficient number of references and will not be processed.
- Failure to use the confidential letter of recommendation form provided will delay the application process.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that reference letters are submitted by the deadline.
Official Transcripts of Academic Performance for all years of study
- The transcripts of academic record are essential to the evaluation of the applicant’s academic ability.
- If the applicants have attended more than one university during their undergraduate degree, transcripts from all universities attended must be submitted along with the application.
TOEFL Score as a proof of English proficiency (We do not accept IELTS scores.)
- Applicants are allowed use TOEFL iBT® Test Taker Score Reports which are downloaded from applicants’ TOEFL iBT® account to submit to the online application system. (ETS will generate this PDF file approximately 2 weeks after the test date. Score reporting schedule are available at https://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/scores/get/.)
- It is highly recommended that applicants plan ahead to allow sufficient time to re-take the test, in case the first-time score does not meet the minimum requirement.
- For more information, please visit https://www.ets.org/toefl.
- Only a complete application set will be processed. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is completely filled in and photocopied before submitting to the Thailand – United States Educational Foundation.
- All application documents must be printed in English, except where otherwise indicated, and printed on one-sided A4 paper.
- Please do not staple any documents, but use paperclips instead.